Grocery delivery and cooking sites are all the rage these days, so Nick and I decided to give them a shot. Services like Blue Apron, HelloFresh, Sun Basket, Green Chef, etc deliver all the ingredients and recipes necessary to make home cooking easier, even on the busiest days. I love these services because I get fresh inspiration and groceries delivered to my house and ready to cook! This week we tried HelloFresh and I made this delicious Chicken Sausage and Fennel Flatbread!
*Please note that this post is not sponsored by HelloFresh. I ordered the service, paid for it out of my own pocket, loved it, and am sharing my experience here. While this post is not sponsored, the links in the post are affiliate links. If you choose to sign up for HelloFresh via my link, you will receive $40 off your subscription and I will receive a small discount on my own subscription. Hey, running a food blog can be expensive! If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach me here and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Chicken Sausage and Fennel Flatbread
I was so excited when this week’s HelloFresh delivery came in! My favorite “fancy” food is chicken sausage and fennel flatbread. When I saw a similar dish available this week on HelloFresh, I was beyond thrilled. I was able to schedule my delivery for Saturday which saved me a weekend grocery shopping trip. I also didn’t have to leave my box baking in the heat until I got home from work during the week. The delivery came neatly segmented in separate boxes for the meals we had chosen for the week. The boxes were easily stackable, neatly labeled, and didn’t take up too much space in the fridge. The chicken sausage pizza box came with fresh oregano, Italian seasoning, chicken sausage, zucchini, cheese, crushed tomatoes, and flatbreads. Tasty in itself! I love using these boxes as cooking inspiration and experimenting to make them even tastier! It makes me feel like a contestant on Chopped!
If you’re interested in signing up for HelloFresh, you can get $40 off you order using this coupon link. There are different packages available including a vegetarian option and choices for 3-4 meals a week for 2-4 people.
For this recipe, I decided to amp up the flavor of the chicken sausage with some roasted fennel and a flavorful garlic tomato sauce. This makes for a tasty Chicken Sausage and Fennel Flatbread in less than 30 minutes!!
The recipe below is adapted from HelloFresh.Print
Chicken Sausage and Fennel Flatbread
Try this Chicken Sausage and Fennel Flatbread for a 30 minute weeknight meal that feels like a fancy Saturday night dinner!
Recipe adapted from HelloFresh.
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 box crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 9 oz Italian Chicken Sausage
- 2 flatbreads
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- .25 oz fresh oregano
- In a small saucepan, combine the garlic, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and bayleaf. Let simmer until you are ready to assemble the flatbreads.
- Cut zucchini and fennel into slices. Season vegetables with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp of Italian seasoning. Toss with 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Preheat oven using the broiler to 500 degrees.
- Evenly arrange zucchini and fennel on the baking sheet.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes watching carefully to avoid burning the veggies. Broil until the fennel and zucchini are lightly browned and soft.
- While the veggies are roasting, remove the chicken sausages from the casings.
- In a sautée pan, heat 2 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add in chicken sausage and season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook sausage for 4-6 minutes until browned.
- Assemble the flatbreads on a baking sheet by layering with some tomato sauce, mozzarella, zucchini, fennel, and sausage.
- Bake flatbreads in a 400 degree oven for 4-6 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with some fresh oregano and fennel fronds enjoy! Use leftover sauce over pasta for lunch the next day!
- Calories: 610