Happy Cinco De Mayo! In honor of the holiday, I made some tasty Cinco de Mayo Vegetable Quesadillas for our fiesta – try them with my Sweet and Spicy Mango Salsa and wash them down with this Spicy Jalapeño Margarita or this tasty Blood Orange Basil Margarita! Perfect for your next fiesta!
Hands down, quesadillas are my favorite Mexican food (if you don’t count margaritas of course.) The crispy tortilla, the melted cheese – dipped in salsa and sour creme, maybe some guac – heaven on a plate! Growing up a vegetarian, my mother used to make vegetable quesadillas as a filling, healthy, and easy weeknight meal. She would grill up vegetables, add a touch of sriracha, a tiny amount of cheese, and serve them up piping hot. While not authentic quesadillas, I loved the flavorful and spicy vegetables. Vegetarians don’t need to settle for plain old cheese quesadillas or the soggy excuses you can find at chain restaurants! You can make your own delicious version at home!
It all starts with the veggies. In order to make a filling and hearty quesadilla, I sautéed up some zucchini, red bell peppers, onions, and jalapeños. You can also add some mushrooms for a heartier flavor. Then comes the cheese! For my quesadillas, I used a mixture of mozzarella and queso fresco. If you’ve never had queso fresco, TRY IT! it’s the perfectly crumbly, salty, and fresh cheese that works beautifully in this recipe. I’d use it on salads too! Next up, toast the tortillas – I love the crunchier crispier tortillas edge but if you don’t, just grill one side, flip, add veggies and cheese, fold in half and viola! Dinner is served.
In order to make this recipe gluten free, use a gluten free tortilla and double check that the cheese you use is gluten free as well. For vegans or those requiring a dairy free diet, use a vegan cheese or be like my mom and omit the cheese entirely. Serve with mango salsa or guacamole instead of sour cream. This quesadilla is sure to delight!
Try these healthy and flavorful vegetable quesadillas for your next weeknight meal!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced ((optional))
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/8 cup queso fresco
- Prep the veggies by cutting the onions, red bell peppers, and jalapeños into strips. Slice the mushrooms and zucchini.
- Heat a medium a sautée pan over medium heat. Add in 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Add onions and sautée for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Add in zucchini and mushrooms and sautée 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add in the remaining veggies and sautée for 1 minute. You want these veggies to remain crunchy and fresh tasting. Remove from heat. Add salt to taste.
- On a griddle, heat the tortillas until desired crispiness. Flip and add a thin layer of cheese on the first side.
- Add the vegetable mixture to half of the tortilla. Top with a light sprinkle of queso fresco.
- Fold the tortilla in half so the vegetables are covered.
- Slice into thirds and serve with some tasty Mango Salsa, guacamole, and sour cream!