When I made the switch to being 100% vegetarian, one of the biggest foods I missed was Panera’s Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. This creamy hearty soup is one of my favorite fall meals so I’m recreating my favorite soup with a vegan twist! This creamy mushroom & wild rice soup will hit the spot on cold fall days – I hope you’ll enjoy!
Why we’re trying plant based.
You’ll notice that some of my recent recipes are vegan. That’s because, in addition to avoiding meat, N and I have been trying to incorporate more plant based dairy alternatives into our diets as well. For me, this decision doesn’t stem from allergies, but rather, a concern for the animals and the environment. You can read more about my decision here. It’s been a slow transition because we love cheese! But one of the easier ways we’re reducing our dairy intake is by swapping out milk and cream for plant based alternatives as much as possible.
We like to think of it as perfectly imperfect. Baby steps are still progress!
Sprouts and Silk make going plant based, easy.
There are so many plant based alternatives to milk on the market that it’s often hard to choose one! Since we’re making the transition to a plant based lifestyle for ethical reasons, it only makes sense that my favorite brand for dairy based alternatives is Silk, whose parent company, Danone North America has undergone the rigorous process to become a Certified B™ Corporation.
Certified B Corporations are companies that balance purpose and profit. They are held to a higher standard than other organizations as they are assessed on the company’s entire social and environmental impact. You can learn more about Certified B™ Corporations here!
My favorite swap for milk in recipes is Silk Unsweetened Coconutmilk. The consistency is very similar to that of 2% milk and the flavor is subtle enough to use in savory recipes. The best part is that plant based alternatives are 35% off at Sprouts during their “Plant Based Tastes Great” sale between 10/31/18-11/7/18. It’s a great time to out plant based alternatives and see if they are for you!
Let’s get cooking!
This recipe is one of my favorites because it is super easy to make. I typically make this soup on a stove top, but you can tweak the recipe and make it in a crockpot during the day, or even an instant pot if you like! This soup easily works for even the busiest lifestyles.
Grab a spoon, gather your family and dig in!
Vegan Creamy Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
- Category: Soup
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 medium carrots (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 oz baby Bella mushrooms (quartered)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Silk coconutmilk
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth ((typically 1 carton))
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 sprig sage
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, add oil and sautée onions, carrots, and celery for 10 minutes, or until softened and golden.
- Add mushrooms and sautée for another 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir continuously until the flour begins to turn blonde.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
- Add the wild rice and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes – 1 hour. This time will depend on the rice – check the packaging on the rice for cooking instructions. Stir occasionally if possible. If you notice the soup getting too thick, add 1 cup of water.
- Check to make sure the rice is fully cooked and enjoy!