You’ll love making and using these cute holiday swizzles sticks to stir your hot chocolate this winter! In both cookies and cream and peppermint candy cane flavors, they are the perfect complement to a steaming mug of liquid cocoa. They’re super easy to make and a fun project to get children involved with!
I can’t believe that it’s already DECEMBER! It’s been really warm here in Colorado so it’s been hard for me to get in the Christmas spirit with 70 degrees and sunshine all around me. Nick and I finally put the Christmas tree up yesterday (SHOCKER, I’m usually dying to put the tree up October 31st at midnight!). Christmas decorating in our house means Christmas music, tangled lights, Christmas movies, and lots and lots of delicious HOT CHOCOLATE. So delicious.
Believe me, we make a LOT of hot chocolate! This year we tried something even CHOCOLATEY-ER. Heck yes, more chocolate! We made flavored chocolate swizzle sticks that perfectly melt into your hot cocoa when you stir it. As if hot chocolate could get any better!
We made 2 flavors – peppermint candy cane and cookies and creme. The candy cane and white chocolate sticks melt into your cocoa when you use it to stir. My personal favorite is the Dark Chocolate Cookies and Creme Swizzle Stick paired with my Irish Creme Hot Chocolate. The White Chocolate Candy Cane sticks work well with my Peppermint Schnapp Hot Chocolate – another crowd favorite. Adults only, of course! For the kiddos, swizzle sticks taste amazing with just plain hot cocoa topped with tons of whipped cream and a good old helping of chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.
At the core, both sticks are easy to make. I found these cute swizzle sticks and the melting chocolate at Michael’s, but you can find them at any craft supply store. Just look in the baking / candy working sections. Then, we coated the sticks in layers of delicious chocolate. After the final coating of molten chocolate, we twirled the sticks in crushed candy canes and crushed Oreos. TA-DA! Easy enough for the kiddos to make.
Hot Chocolate Swizzle Sticks
You’ll love making and using these cute holiday swizzle sticks to stir your hot chocolate this winter! In both cookies and cream and peppermint candy cane flavors, they are the perfect complement to a steaming mug of liquid cocoa. They’re super easy to make and a fun project to get children involved with!
- Parchment Paper
White Chocolate Peppermint Swizzle Sticks
- 1/4 cup white chocolate candy melts
- 2 Peppermint Candy Canes (crushed)
- 5 swizzle sticks
Cookies and Creme Swizzle Sticks
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate candy melts
- 5 Oreos (crushed)
- 5 Swizzle sticks
- For both flavors of swizzle sticks, start by melting the chocolate candy melts in a bowl in the microwave on the defrost setting in 30 second increments. Stir every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate is melted, coat each swizzle stick with a generous layer of chocolate.
- Place on parchment and put in the refrigerator to cool for 5 minutes.
- Repeat coating and cooling the swizzle sticks with chocolate until you achieve the desired thickness of chocolate. 2-3 layers worked well for us.
- Coat the swizzle sticks in one more layer of chocolate. While wet, roll in the crushed candy cane or cookie mixtures.
- Place back on parchment and allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
We had so much fun getting covered in chocolate and making these swizzle sticks! What other flavors do you think would be good? I’m trying a s’mores flavor next! Let me know in the comments below!!