I can’t believe it’s already May! Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and I’ve got margaritas on my mind! Last week I shared my recipe for my favorite Blood Orange Margarita but this week I thought I’d spice things up (yes, pun intended) with my spicy jalapeño margarita.
Jalapeño margaritas are a little different from the flavored margaritas I mentioned in the Blood Orange Margarita recipe last week. Because the refreshing kick of the jalapeño is the star of the cocktail, a sweet margarita base can hide the flavor. To highlight the jalapeño, I made my margarita base out of fresh squeezed lime juice, a splash of fresh lemon and orange juices, and a small amount of agave nectar. I’d avoid using any pre-made margarita mix or juice concentrate for a jalapeño margarita because they tend to be too sweet and overpower the spice. I rimmed this glass with some kosher salt. In the past, I’ve rimmed the glass with a light mix of kosher salt, sugar, and red chili powder… spicy and festive!
Spicy Jalapeño Margarita
- Yield: 1 margarita 1x
- Category: Cocktail, Drinks
- Cuisine: Cocktail
- 1 large jalapeño
- 1/2 small lime
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 cup ice
Prepping the glass and garnish:
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar ((optional))
- 1 tsp red chili powder ((optional))
- 2 slices fresh lime
- 1 slices jalapeño
To make the margarita:
- Muddle the jalapeño and the lime thoroughly in a cocktail shaker or pitcher.
- Add the fresh lime, lemon, and orange juices, the agave nectar, tequila, and ice. Stir or shake well.
- In a small saucer, mix the salt, sugar, and red chili powder.
- Rub 1 lime wedge / slice around the glass so the rim is sticky. Dip in the salt / sugar / red chili powder mixture.
- Fill rimmed glass with ice. Strain margarita mixture over ice.
- Garnish with the lime slice and jalapeño slices.
Do you have a favorite margarita recipe in time for Cinco de Mayo? Let me know in the comments below!